Mapping never-never land: An examination of pinson mounds cartography
The well-known map of the Pinson Mounds site published by William Myer in 1922 illustrates numerous earthworks, including 34 mounds and extensive embankments, most of which are not visible today. Researchers have long debated the existence of these features and the accuracy of Myer's map in general. Using early photographs, topographic maps, gradiometry, and, most important, the 1917 field map upon which the 1922 map was based, it is clear that a number of the mapped features were not visible to Myer and were simply products of his imagination. Furthermore, we provide strong evidence that the Inner Citadel embankment and several associated mounds never existed.
Mainfort, R., Kwas, M., & Mickelson, A. (2011). Mapping never-never land: An examination of pinson mounds cartography. Southeastern Archaeology, 30 (1), 148-165. https://doi.org/10.1179/sea.2011.30.1.011