2103350113096066-Roberta Church, Father Washington, Alma Roulhac.jpg
Image of three people standing at a gravestone. All three individuals are identified from left to right as: Roberta Church, Father Washington, and Alma Booth.; This image was taken at the burial site of Thomas and Eliza Wright-Williamson at Elmwood Cemetery. Eliza was the maternal aunt of Roberta Church. Eliza's husband, Thomas Williamson opened a barbershop in the Gaston Hotel across from Court Square about 1865. The Williamsons lived in a two story home on the corner of Main Street in downtown Memphis where Goldsmith's Department was later located. Appointed by Rev. Todd Quintard, Bishop of the Diocese of Tennessee, Thomas established the Colored Episcopal Church in Memphis. The first meeting was held in the Williamson home in 1873. The first confirmation class of Emmanuel Church was confirmed by Bishop Quintard at Calvary Episcopal Church, 1875.
Digital Image (c) 2011 Earnestine Jenkins Collection of African American-African Diaspora Photographs. All rights reserved. No unauthorized duplication or transmission permitted. Contact the rights holder: Arts & Visual Cultures of Africa and the African Diaspora, Department of Art, University of Memphis.
"Memphis 20th Century: Roberta Church" (2021). Earnestine Jenkins Collection of Historical African American-African Diaspora Photographs. 55.
Roberta Church; Elmwood Cemetery (Memphis, Tenn.)