Memphis Umbrella Company records, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Lillie B. Purser (r), a man who may be Samuel J. Purser and an unknown woman inside the premises of the Memphis Umbrella Company around 1900. The Memphis Umbrella Company was established in 1888. When Englishman Samuel J. Purser (1854-1928) was the proprietor, it had premises at 382½ Main Street, Memphis, in 1903, and then moved to 134 South Main Street, before moving to the State Savings Bank Building at 72 Madison Avenue around 1910. Purser was also a jeweler, engraver and optician. His wife, Lillie, worked in the store and ran the business after Samuel’s death on November 28, 1928, until her own death on March 17, 1940, when it was located at 2024 Lamar.
"Memphis Umbrella Company, circa 1900" (2021). Images. 2.
Memphis Umbrella Company., Purser, Lillie B., 1874-1940.