Periodical image collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Tinted and engraved illustration of the Tennessee Institute for the Blind, removed from an unknown publication, circa 1887. The Institute occupied the former Hugh Kirkman house at the corner of Summer and Cedar Streets in Nashville, Tennessee. It was founded in 1844 and was located on Lebanon Pike until the building was destroyed during the Civil War. The Institute was reconstituted in the Kirkman house in 1866 and had 30 students in 1870. It was later renamed the Tennessee School for the Blind.
"Tennessee Institute for the Blind, Nashville, circa 1887" (2022). Images. 4.
Tennessee School for the Blind.