Cecil C. Humphreys collection, University Archives, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Ernest C. Ball (Tennessee Board of Education)(left), Memphis State University president Dr. Cecil C. Humphreys, and former president J. Millard Smith (right), standing near the soon-to-be demolished President's House on Patterson Street, survey excavations for the new Humanities Building (later named Patterson Hall) in August 1966. The cut-down tree was planted by a former president in 1924. Ball was a student at the university when it first opened in 1912. Smith lived in the house from 1946 to 1960, and Humphreys from 1960 until moving to a new president's residence off-campus on Grandview Drive.
"Excavation begins for Humanities Building, Memphis State University, 1966" (2021). Cecil C. Humphreys Collection. 10.
Memphis State University.; Humphreys, Cecil C. (Cecil Clarence), 1914-1995.; University of Memphis.; University of Memphis.