Nineteenth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Portrait of a class at the Smith School, Memphis, Tennessee, 1884. Photographer: Gebhardt & Company, Memphis.
Built in 1872, the school at the corner of Market and 3rd was the first brick public school in Memphis, Called the Market Street School until 1877, the name changed to Smith School. During this time the top two floors housed the Memphis High School until their own facility was built in 1892. Then in 1920 the name changed again to the Christine School. It was demolished in 1964.
"Class portrait, Smith School, Memphis, 1884" (2021). Images. 18.