Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The Memphis Auditorium on the corner of Poplar Avenue and Front Street, Memphis, Tennessee, in early 1925. The Auditorium opened officially in October 1924 offering a 30,000 square foot facility for conventions, exhibitions and theatrical productions with seating for 12,000 people. It also included a retail produce market. Memphis businessman Robert R. Ellis was the driving force behind the Auditorium and when he died in 1930, the building was named after him. Ellis Auditorium was demolished in 1999.
"Memphis Auditorium, 1925" (2021). Other images. 175.