Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The Shelby County Courthouse at the corner of Main Street and Poplar Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, circa 1910. The building was originally the 5-story Overton Hotel that operated from 1866 to 1874. It was sold to Shelby County, which removed the top story and the center parts of the 4th floor and added two towers at the ends of the 4th floor. In this image, the space between the towers has been built in once again. It was used as a courthouse until 1919. The building was demolished to make way for the Auditorium.
"Shelby County Courthouse, Memphis, circa 1910" (2021). Other images. 179.