Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The Lowenstein house at 756 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, 1929. Elias Lowenstein, owner of Lowenstein's Department Store, built the original house on the right in 1890-1891. His daughter Celia donated the house to the Nineteenth Century Club to turn it into a boarding house for single women in 1921. The property later became a treatment center for mental health outpatients in 1979 and later was purchased by developer Bill Townsend.
"Lowenstein house, Memphis, 1929" (2021). Other images. 318.