Memphis Press-Scimitar newspaper morgue, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The original Gayoso Hotel was built in 1842 but unfortunately burned down in 1899. The newly designed Gayoso Hotel opened in 1902 but struggled to retain the former glory and clientele of the previous version. It was bought in 1948 by the Goldsmith's Department Store to be used as storage and offices and has since been renovated into apartments, offices and storefronts.
"Gayoso Hotel, Memphis, 1941" (2023). Buildings. 46.
Gayoso Hotel (Memphis, Tenn.); Hotels--Tennessee--Memphis; Historic buildings--Tennessee--Memphis