Memphis Press-Scimitar newspaper morgue, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The City Hospital opened in 1898 on Madison Avenue as a replacement for the Memphis General Hospital, on Union, which had been in operation since 1829. It was later replaced by the John Gaston Hospital and now the Health Sciences Park occupies the land.
"Memphis City Hospital, Memphis, c. 1920" (2023). Buildings. 53.
Hospitals--Tennessee--Memphis; City Hospital (Memphis, Tenn.)