Memphis Press-Scimitar newspaper morgue, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
The Hotel King Cotton was built by the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks in 1925 as "The Elks Club and Hotel" but in 1931 the name was changed to Hotel DeVoy after the deceased Elk's Exalted Leader Clarence DeVoy. In 1937, the Memphis Elks Lodge #27 could no longer sustain the cost of the building and it was sold at a foreclosure auction for $200,000. In 1945, the building became the Hotel King Cotton. The King Cotton closed in 1972 and the building was demolished in April 1984.
"Hotel King Cotton, Memphis, 1963" (2021). Buildings. 7.
Historic buildings--Tennessee--Memphis., Historic hotels--Tennessee--Memphis.