Stereograph card collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
People relaxing by a reservoir with the buildings of the waterworks near the Wolf River, Memphis, Tennessee, in the background, circa 1880. The waterworks were built in 1872, and later expanded by the Memphis Water Works Company from 1880, to pump water from the Wolf River for use as drinking water. The rival Artesian Water Company began drawing water from artesian wells in the 1880s and the two companies merged in 1888. Wolf River water ceased to be drawn by this waterworks in 1890. The City of Memphis took over the water company in 1903.
"Memphis Water Works, circa 1880" (2021). Other images. 10.