Stereograph card collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
View from the Mississippi River of the quarantine station on the southern end of Presidents Island near Memphis, Tennessee, and a moored National Board of Health River Service boat, circa 1880. The quarantine station was established by the National Board of Health (NHB) in 1880 because of the yellow fever outbreaks in Memphis to inspect all boats travelling upriver from the south. When federal funding for the NBH ceased in June 1883, the station was taken over by Memphis officials who maintained it until September 1883. Regulations were relaxed thereafter but Memphis was spared a serious outbreak for the rest of the century.
"Presidents Island quarantine station, circa 1880" (2021). Other images. 13.