Stereograph card collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
View of a steamboat moored at the quarantine station on Presidents Island south of Memphis, Tennessee, from the island, circa 1880. The quarantine station was established by the National Board of Health (NHB) in 1880 because of the yellow fever outbreaks in Memphis to inspect all boats travelling upriver from the south. When federal funding for the NBH ceased in June 1883, the station was taken over by Memphis officials who maintained it until September 1883. Regulations were relaxed thereafter but Memphis was spared a serious outbreak for the rest of the century.
"Presidents Island, steamboat at quarantine station, circa 1880" (2021). Other images. 15.