Download Full Text (1.0 MB)
Program for the tenth annual commencement of the Clara Conway Institute at 259 Poplar Street (later Poplar Avenue), Memphis, Tennessee, on June 10, 1886. The school was established in 1877 by Clara Conway (1844-1904), a prominent educator in Memphis, to provide the highest level education to the city's girls, including a kindergarten. By 1885 there were 270 pupils that necessitated the construction of a new building on Poplar which was soon replaced by a bigger building as enrollment continued to grow. The school closed in 1893 though Conway continued to teach. The Conway Memorial Pergola was erected in Overton Park in her honor in 1908 but was destroyed in a storm in 1936.
Clara Conway Institute (Memphis, Tenn.)
"Clara Conway Institute, Memphis, commencement program, 1886" (2021). Other documents. 100.