Download Full Text (1.9 MB)
Vol. 27, No. 2, dated November 1914, of "Head and Hand", the monthly newsletter published by the faculty and students of LeMoyne Normal Institute in Memphis, Tennessee. In 1870, noted abolitionist Francis Julius LeMoyne (1798-1879), a Washington, Pennsylvania, doctor, donated $20,000 to the American Missionary Association to build an elementary and secondary school for prospective African American teachers. In 1914, the school moved from Orleans Street to a site on Walker Avenue. LeMoyne became a junior college in 1924, and a four-year college in 1930. LeMoyne–Owen College was formed through the 1968 merger of LeMoyne and Owen Colleges.
"LeMoyne Normal Institute, Memphis, Head and Hand, 27:2, 1914" (2021). Other documents. 75.