Download Full Text (1.3 MB)
Commencement program for the Howe Institute held in Church's Auditorium, Memphis, Tennessee, on May 22, 1913. Howe Institute was founded in 1888 by Peter Howe of Illinois. It was originally called the Memphis Baptist and Normal Institute and was one of the earliest private educational facilities for African Americans in Memphis. In 1902, Thomas O. Fuller was named principal and he was able to expand the school. The campus came to comprise five buildings including the original Howe Building, an Industrial Shop for the printing and sewing departments, a Teacher's College building, and the Clara Howe Dormitory for girls. The Institute relied on support from tuition and donations, and the Great Depression saw both decline. In 1937, its buildings were sold and Howe merged with LeMoyne College.
"Howe Institute commencement program, Memphis, 1913" (2021). Other documents. 77.