Download Full Text (456 KB)
Invitation to the commencement exercise of the Clara Conway Institute, Memphis, Tennessee, to be held at the Lyceum Theatre on June 4th, 1891. The card features photographs of the senior class. Miss Conway is in the center of the left hand photograph and in the same image Mamie Jones is identified in pencil as fourth from the left. The school was established in 1877 by Clara Conway (1844-1904), a prominent educator in Memphis, to provide the highest level education to the city's girls, including a kindergarten. By 1885 there were 270 pupils that necessitated the construction of a new building on Poplar which was soon replaced by a bigger building as enrollment continued to grow. The school closed in 1893 though Conway continued to teach. The Conway Memorial Pergola was erected in Overton Park in her honor in 1909 but was destroyed in a storm in 1936.
Clara Conway Institute (Memphis, Tenn.)
"Clara Conway Institute, Memphis, commencement invitation, 1891" (2021). Other documents. 98.