Download Full Text (17.5 MB)
New Series Vol. 1, No. 11 of the "Social Graphic" newspaper published in Memphis, Tennessee, on July 22, 1893. The 8-page weekly was published by The Great South Press and run by Wilbur Challen Paul and edited by Regina Armstrong Hilliard. This issue was the "Clara Conway Institute Number" with the first three pages devoted to the Institute. The Clara Conway Institute was established in 1877 by Clara Conway (1844-1904), a prominent educator in Memphis, to provide the highest level education to the city's girls, including a kindergarten. By 1885 there were 270 pupils that necessitated the construction of a new building on Poplar which was soon replaced by a bigger building as enrollment continued to grow.
"Social Graphic, Memphis, July 1893" (2021). Shelby County. 140.