Download Full Text (4.9 MB)
Issue of the "Memphis Appeal" newspaper published in Atlanta, Georgia, on August 6, 1864. The "Memphis Appeal" began publication in 1841 in Memphis, Tennessee, as a weekly and then was published daily from 1847. The paper supported the Confederacy when war was declared and with the occupation of Memphis by Union forces in 1862, the paper moved to Grenada, Mississippi. During the rest of the war, the "Appeal" was published in Jackson and Meridian, Mississippi, Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama. The paper's staff returned to Memphis at the end of the war. It survived until its merger with the "Daily Avalanche" in 1890 which merged with the "Memphis Commercial" in 1894 to become the "Memphis Commercial Appeal".
1864 August 6
"Memphis Appeal, Atlanta, August 6, 1864" (2021). United States. 42.