Preview
Source Collection
Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Identifier
sc.0462.008_012.002
Description
View of Kennedy Hospital in Memphis from the entrance on Getwell Road, August 1944. The hospital was named after Brigadier General James M. Kennedy, a distinguished Army surgeon, and opened in January 1943. It grew to be the largest Army general hospital in the country during World War II. In its first year, over 10,000 wounded soldiers were treated, initially transported by train and then by air the following year. Later it became a Veterans Affairs Hospital before closing in 1967 when the site became the South Campus of Memphis State University.
Date Created
6-21-2021
Date
1944 August
Recommended Citation
"Kennedy Hospital, Memphis, 1944" (2021). Other images. 17.
https://digitalcommons.memphis.edu/speccoll-mss-20thcenturyphoto3/17
Keywords
Military hospitals--Tennessee--Memphis.
Archival Statement
This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.