Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
View of Clayborn Temple from Hernando Street to Pontotoc Street in Memphis, Tennessee, 1979. Originally Second Presbyterian Church built in 1893, it became Clayborn Temple in 1949 when it was sold to the African Methodist Episcopal Church. An important center of Memphis' civil rights movement, the Temple was the organizing headquarters of the sanitation workers' strike in 1968. The upkeep of the building became hard to manage as the congregation shrank and it was vacated. Restoration began in 2015.
"Clayborn Temple, Memphis, 1979" (2021). Other images. 5.