Creators

Preview

image preview

Source Collection

Ron Pevahouse collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries

Identifier

sc.0169.001_001.003

Description

A progress photograph of the Auditorium and Market House under construction in Memphis, Tennessee, in early 1923. The building was being constructed by the James Alexander Construction Company which hired Clifford Poland to take a series of photographs documenting the building's progress. The Auditorium was designed by George Awsumb and was built on the corner of Poplar Avenue and Front Street. It offered 30,000 square feet of display space and could seat 12,000 people. Renamed the Ellis Auditorium in the early 1930s, the building was remodeled in 1956-1957 and a new entrance added in the early 1960s. The Auditorium was demolished in 1999 to make way for an expanded Cook Convention Center.

Date Created

6-9-2021

Date

1923

Keywords

Auditoriums--Tennessee--Memphis.

Share

COinS
 

Rights Statement

Copyright Not Evaluated

Archival Statement

This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.