Download Full Text (1010 KB)
Menu from the Café Gayoso of the Hotel Gayoso in Memphis, Tennessee, dated Sunday, April 5, 1925. The dinner was accompanied by a musical program featuring the soprano Miss Maude Moreland under the direction of Signor Professore Paolo Grosso. James B. Cook designed a new hotel to replace the Gayoso House, built in 1842, that burned down in 1899. His U-shaped construction surrounded a courtyard screened from Front Street by a row of columns and opened in 1902. Afterwards, there was an effort to return the Gayoso to its former glory, but it never quite achieved the fame of the previous Gayoso. Goldsmith's Department Store, which was next door to the Gayoso, bought the hotel in 1948 and used it for offices and storage. The Gayoso closed its doors in 1962. Fifty years later, it was restored and used for downtown apartments, residences, restaurants, and offices.
1925 April 5
Hotel Gayoso (Memphis, Tenn.), Menus--Tennessee--Memphis.
"Cafe Gayoso, Memphis, menu, 1925" (2021). Documents. 33.