Download Full Text (2.2 MB)
An advertising placard for the Tennessee Brewing Company of Memphis, Tennessee, undated. The brewery was originally organized in 1877 by G.H. Herbers as "The Memphis Brewing Company". In 1885, it was bought by J. W. Schorr, Casper Koehler, and associates, and soon became one of the largest breweries in the south. At one point, more than 1500 workers worked at the brewery and, by 1903, production was up to 250,000 barrels per year. Prohibition shut down operations but, after prohibition ended in 1933, the plant was reopened by J. W.'s son, John Schorr. Very rapidly they got back up to production speed until they ceased all operations in 1954.
Tennessee Brewing Company.
"Tennessee Brewing Company advertising placard, 1890s" (2021). Documents. 42.