Creators

Preview

image preview

Source Collection

Stereograph card collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries

Identifier

sc.0461.001_011.002

Description

Group of six unidentified people standing in front of the Great Bridge at Memphis, Tennessee, 1901. Card is titled: "14306. Our friends on a visit to the Great Bridge, Memphis, Tenn." Photographer: B. W. Kilburn, Littleton, NH.

The bridge, known later as the Memphis Bridge and then the Frisco Bridge, opened in 1892 for the use of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railway and was the only bridge across the Mississippi River south of St. Louis at that time. Pedestrians, buggies, and, later, automobiles used it before the Harahan Bridge opened in 1916 (the bridge was closed to such traffic while a train was crossing).

Date Created

2021

Date

1901

Keywords

Memphis (Tenn.)

Share

COinS
 

Rights Statement

Copyright Not Evaluated

Archival Statement

This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.