Creators

Preview

image preview

Source Collection

Stereograph card collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries

Identifier

sc.0461.001_011.006

Description

Image titled "6975. Building the Bridge, Memphis, Tenn., U.S.A." published by B.W. Kilburn, Littleton, N.H., in 1892. It shows the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railway transfer steamer "Charles Merriam" moored at the Memphis riverfront in the foreground and the Great Bridge under construction across the Mississippi River in the background.

The bridge, known later as the Memphis Bridge and then the Frisco Bridge, opened in 1892 for the use of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railway and was the only bridge across the Mississippi River south of St. Louis at that time. Pedestrians, buggies, and, later, automobiles used it before the Harahan Bridge opened in 1916.

Date Created

2021

Date

1892

Keywords

Bridges--Tennessee--Memphis.

Share

COinS
 

Rights Statement

Copyright Not Evaluated

Archival Statement

This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.