Twentieth century photograph collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Photographic copy of an architect's rendering of the office building to be built at 240 Madison Avenue, at the corner with Fourth Street, in Memphis, Tennessee, 1925. Photographer: Walter F. Winn, Inc.
Constructed in 1925-1926 by the Cincinnati firm of Rudolph Tietig and William H. Lee to specifically address the needs of private medical practitioners, with shared equipment and services provided in the plan of the structure. Planning for the building, which became known as the Medical Arts Building, was begun by the real estate development firm headed by Oran L. Sackett, president of a local insurance company, in response to the burgeoning Memphis health care profession. By mid-century, the expansion of the Memphis Medical Center area resulted in few medical personnel remaining in the building and it became more of a general office building. Businessman Francis G. Hickman purchased the building in the early 1950s and undertook a general renovation. The building closed in 1971 and was renovated again in the later 2000s.
"Medical Arts Building, Memphis, 1925" (2021). Other images. 256.