Creators

Preview

image preview

Source Collection

Grover Edward McCarver memorial collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries

Identifier

sc.0466.006_Schools.011.jpg

Description

Nicknamed "The Castle", this school was built in 1898 specifically for the growing population of the Memphis High School which occupied the building until 1911. The building changed names many times: Poplar Street School, Crockett Vocational High School, Crockett Technical High School, among others. The building later housed the Memphis Board of Education when a new larger high school was built in 1927.

Date Created

6-17-2021

Date

circa 1911

Keywords

Postcards--Tennessee--Memphis, Postcards--20th century, Memphis (Tenn.)--photographs

Share

COinS
 

Rights Statement

Copyright Not Evaluated

Archival Statement

This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.