Preview
Source Collection
Ron Pevahouse collection, Special Collections Department, University of Memphis Libraries
Identifier
sc.0169.001_002.001
Description
"Progress Photo #2, Catholic Club, 1-3-23, Jas. Alexander Cons’t Co, Contractors”. Photographer: C.H. Poland, Memphis, Tennessee. The Catholic Club was located at the southeast corner of Third and Adams. The six-story building was described at the time as "one of the best-equipped club buildings in the South and includes every modern convenience." Inside was a gymnasium, bowling alleys, billiard room, swimming pool, dance rooms, an "excellent café," and even a rooftop garden. The top floors contained 74 spacious apartments that could be rented by members. It closed in 1939 and was demolished in the early 1980s.
Date Created
6-9-2021
Date
1923 January 3
Recommended Citation
"Memphis Catholic Club under construction, 1923" (2021). James Alexander Construction Company, Memphis. 3.
https://digitalcommons.memphis.edu/speccoll-mss-rpevahouse1/3
Keywords
Clubs--Tennessee--Memphis.
Archival Statement
This item was created or digitized prior to April 24, 2026, or is a reproduction of legacy media created before that date. It is preserved in its original, unmodified state specifically for research, reference, or historical recordkeeping. This material is part of a digital archival collection and is not utilized for current University instruction, programs, or active public communication. In accordance with the ADA Title II Final Rule, the University Libraries provides accessible versions of archival materials upon request. To request an accommodation for this item, please submit an accessibility request form.