-
Shelby County Penal Farm, Memphis, 1946
An illustrated booklet published by the Shelby County Commissioners, Memphis, Tennessee, in 1946 about the Shelby County Penal Farm established in 1928.
-
Shelby County Penal Farm, Memphis, circa 1948
An illustrated pamphlet published by the Shelby County Commissioners, Memphis, Tennessee, circa 1948, about the Shelby County Penal Farm established in 1928.
-
Sherron Shoe Company booklet, Memphis, 1914
A booklet published by Sherron Shoe Company located at Main and Union in Memphis, Tennessee, advertising shoes for the spring and summer of 1914.
-
Sherron Shoe Company postcard, Memphis, circa 1912
Postcard view of the interior of Sherron Shoe Company located at Main and Union in Memphis, Tennessee, circa 1912.
-
South Side High School, Memphis, The Triple S, 11:11, 1939
Vol. 11, No. 11, of the South Side High School student paper, "The Triple S", published on May 2, 1939. This was a special issue compiled by the school's Howard-Krauss Society, which studied malaria control, and consisted of articles and other features on the subject. South Side High School was established in 1925 and located at 1880 Prospect, Memphis, Tennessee. The school closed in 2008 and the campus became South Side Health Careers Academy.
-
South Side High School, Memphis, The Triple S, 13:9, 1941
Vol. 13, No. 9, of the South Side High School student paper, "The Triple S", published on April 15, 1941. This was a special issue compiled by the school's Howard-Krauss Society, which studied malaria control, and consisted of articles and other features on the subject. South Side High School was established in 1925 and located at 1880 Prospect, Memphis, Tennessee. The school closed in 2008 and the campus became South Side Health Careers Academy.
-
St. Joseph, Missouri, promotional booklet, 1907
20-page booklet published by the Saint Joseph, Missouri, Businessmen's League in 1907 to promote the city to prospective investors. It contains photographs of buildings in the city.
-
St. Mary's School, Memphis, catalog, 1892
Catalog published by St. Mary's School located at 364-366 Poplar Street in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1892. The school was run by the Sisters of St. Mary of the Episcopal Church and headed by Sister Hughetta. The publication also lists the honor roll students of 1873-1892. The school is the oldest private school in Memphis, having been founded in 1847, but it only came under the jurisdiction of the Sisters of St. Mary in 1873, hence the dating on the cover.
-
Superior School of Music pamphlet, Memphis
An undated promotional pamphlet for the Superior School of Music located at 200 South Fourth Street, Memphis, Tennessee. According to the pamphlet, the school was established in 1923 to cater to the African American community with a focus on sacred music. Its president was S.W. Banks.
-
Tennessee Conservationist, Memphis Sesquicentennial Issue, 1969
"The Tennessee Conservationist", Vol. 35, No. 1, Special Memphis Sesquicentennial Issue, published by the Tennessee Department of Conservation and Game and Fish Commission in January 1969. The issue contains photographs of the city.
-
Tennessee Democratic election ticket, 1916
A card published in Tennessee in 1916 by the Democratic Party listing the 12 candidates to be electors in the presidential election along with the candidates for governor, U.S. senator and other offices in the state to be chosen on election day, November 7, 1916.
-
Tennessee Federation of Women's Clubs, Club Affairs, 3:1, 1917
Vol. 3, No. 1 of "Club Affairs" for October 1917, the newsletter of the Tennessee Federation of Women's Clubs based in Memphis, Tennessee.
-
Tennessee prohibition song sheet
An undated song sheet with the lyrics of four songs with a prohibition theme for Tennessee sung to well-known tunes. The titles include: "A Mother's Plea", "Tell Mother I'll Vote Dry", "Tennessee Will March Along With Georgia", and "Tennessee's Going Dry". While national prohibition began in 1920, Tennessee had passed legislation restricting the manufacturing and consumption of alcohol in 1909, two years after stricter legislation was enacted in Georgia.
-
Third Annual Message of Memphis Mayor James H. Malone, 1909
Third Annual Message of the mayor of Memphis, Tennessee, James H. Malone, published in May 1909, in which he outlines the acts of his administration and monies spent. James Henry Malone (1851-1929) was mayor from 1906 to 1910, a prominent attorney and an amateur historian.
-
Ties: The Southern Railway System Magazine, 1955
Vol. 9, No. 4 of "Ties: The Southern Railway System Magazine", April 1955. Includes article "The Marriage of the Waters" (pp.12-14) on completion of Memphis and Charleston Railroad in 1857.
-
Ties: The Southern Railway System Magazine, 1957
Vol. 11, No. 3 of "Ties: The Southern Railway System Magazine", March 1957. Includes article "Portrait in Powder Smoke: The War Years of the Memphis and Charleston" (pp.14-16).
-
Town Park Motor Motel brochure, Memphis, circa 1960
Brochure for the Town Park Motor Motel on E.H. Crump Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, circa 1960. The Town Park Motor Hotel was built at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Crump Boulevard in 1953, the first tourism-related business along the new highway from the Memphis and Arkansas Bridge completed in 1949.
-
Trenton, Tennessee, Public School notice, 1874
Notice of the opening of the 1874 spring term of the Public School in Trenton, Tennessee. It lists the instructors for the male and female departments under principal G.R. McGee. The former occupied the Andrew College building and the latter was at the Melrose Institute. The school was "opened to all white persons between the age of six and twenty one years."
-
Tri-State Fair, Memphis, Patriotic Day Out Door Chorus program, 1917
Program for "Out Door Chorus, Patriotic Day", at the Tri-State Fair in Memphis, Tennessee, on September 23, 1917. The program contains the lyrics of nine patriotic songs and it proclaimed that there would be 3000 voices under the direction of Professor William Saxby assisted by Thaviu's Famous Band. This was the first Tri-State Fair held since the United States entered World War I in April 1917.
-
Union Female College, Mississippi, elocution program
Program for a recital by the pupils of the Elocution Department of Union Female College, Oxford, Mississippi, on May 5 (unknown year). The program notes the recital was complimentary to the state Sunday School convention being held in the city. Founded as the Oxford Female Academy in 1838, the school became the Union Female College in 1854 after it was affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. An outbreak of yellow fever closed the school in 1898 and President A.S. Maddox moved to Little Rock, Arkansas, to open the Maddox Seminary there. There is a suggestion the College was moved to West Point and changed its name to Southern Female College. A fire in August 1911 led to the Union campus' final closure.
-
University of Louisville Medical and Law Departments Announcement, 1879-1880
Forty-third annual announcement of the Medical Department, and the thirty-fourth of the Law Department, of the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky, for the 1879-1880 session.
-
University of Louisville Medical Department announcement, 1877-1878
Forty-first annual announcement of the Medical Department of the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky, for the 1877-1878 session.
-
University of Nashville Law, Literary and Medical Departments announcement, 1854-1855
Announcement for the session of 1854-1855 of the University of Nashville Law, Literary and Medical Departments, Nashville, Tennessee. The university was founded as Davidson Academy in 1785 and became Cumberland College in 1806. In 1826 the college became the University of Nashville. From 1874 to 1895 the medical department united with the Medical Department of Vanderbilt University, and from 1909 to 1911 it joined with the Medical Department of the University of Tennessee. In 1911, it merged with Medical Department of the University of Tennessee to form the University of Tennessee College of Medicine.
-
University of Nashville Medical Department announcement, 1858-1859
Catalogue for the session of 1857-1858 and announcement for the session of 1858-1859 of the University of Nashville Medical Department, Nashville, Tennessee. The publication also refers to the Tennessee State Hospital, School for Practical Chemistry, and the Military College. The university was founded as Davidson Academy in 1785 and became Cumberland College in 1806. In 1826 the college became the University of Nashville. From 1874 to 1895 the medical department united with the Medical Department of Vanderbilt University, and from 1909 to 1911 it joined with the Medical Department of the University of Tennessee. In 1911, it merged with Medical Department of the University of Tennessee to form the University of Tennessee College of Medicine.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.